Christine Whelan FEO, January 18, 2024, VOL. 5 ISSUE 10
Niagara Parks is investing up to $19 million of its earned revenue to fund the redevelopment of its marina property.
The money will be invested over the next three years, creating a new waterfront tourism destination along the upper Niagara River in Fort Erie.
According to the Press Release found on the Niagara Parks website, “The redevelopment plans include substantial upgrades to the site, increasing the number of dock slips to over 200, while also expanding public use of the marina through amenities such as a new restaurant and outdoor patio space, retail store, new public washrooms, areas for fishing, a new public boat launch and recreational public space throughout the waterfront area. The plans will also include infrastructure to support fishing charters and excursions.”
It is hoped that this improvement will potentially attract more future investments around the site and provide a positive economic impact for Niagara Parks, the Town of Fort Erie, and the entire region.
“The Niagara Parks Marina remains a key priority for Niagara Parks and a site that holds great potential for supporting new and repeat visitation to the area. We know how beloved this site is within the local community and we are proud to invest in its redevelopment to establish the marina as a new recreational hub along the south Niagara Parkway, providing benefits both for local residents and those visiting for the first time,” Niagara Parks Chair April Jeffs was quoted in the Media Release.
The redevelopment will increase the number of dock slips at the site to over 200, while adding new public amenities, including:
- A restaurant and outdoor patio space
- New public boat launch including designated area for kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, etc.
- Public washrooms
- Areas for fishing and infrastructure to support fishing charters and excursions
- Improved recreational areas along the shoreline
- Niagara Parks will be issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the design-build of the new marina with Niagara Parks remaining the owner and operator of the site.
- The marina will be open for the 2024 boating season as normal. Niagara Parks is planning for the closure of the marina for the 2025 boating season to accommodate construction, with the goal of reopening the redeveloped marina for the 2026 boating season.
For more details about the project, visit niagaraparks.com/marinaredevelopment.