Happy Birthday from Fort Erie Museum Services!
If your birthday falls between March 14 and March 20 these are the milestone events that happened in our town on that date.
If you would like to read more about what was happening in town on the day and year that you were born please stop by the Historical Museum to view the digital newspaper collection.
A list of newspapers is available on the Museum’s website at www.museum.forterie.ca.
Click on the Archives and Database link and then the Newspaper Collection link.
We are located at 402 Ridge Road, Ridgeway. Contact us by phone at 905-894-5322 or e-mail email@example.com.
1850 – Bertie Town Council passes a by-law to license and regulate certain ale and beer houses and to prevent, restrain and regulate the exhibition of wax figures, wild animals and other “idle acts and feats.” (FEHM Files, Bertie Township Council Minutes)
1935 – An article on welfare in Fort Erie prompts a letter to the editor noting that recipients of relief are living on 12 cents per day or four cents per meal. (Times-Review, March 18, 1935)
1946 – Fort Erie Junior Chamber of Commerce votes to arouse public consciousness to the need for mail delivery in Fort Erie. (Times-Review, April, 1971)
1858 – Fort Erie Council authorizes the Clerk to go to Toronto and seek legal advice concerning the problems that have arisen between the Municipality of Bertie and the Village of Fort Erie. (Fort Erie Council Minutes 1857-1882, MS 644, Reel 1, R.G. 21, Municipal Records)
1971 – The Town of Fort Erie grants the Bertie Historical Society use of one room in the old town hall. (R. M. Disher, The Bertie Town Hall Story 1874–1974, Ridgeway, Ont.: Robert Disher, 1974, p. 39)
1858 – The Irish Republican Brotherhood forms on St. Patrick’s Day. The American wing is the Fenian Brotherhood. (Fighting for Canada: Seven Battles 1758–1945, Donald F. Graves, ed., 2000, p. 137)
1915 – Five hundred and twenty-five troops of the 44th Regiment congregate in Fort Erie causing fear of a German invasion. Authorities assure townspeople that it is only for tactical training. (The Ridgeway Herald, 1915)
1936 – The roof of the Peace Bridge Arena collapses as over 25 inches of heavy, wet snow fell in less than 8 hours. (Many Voices, Fort Erie, Ont.: Fort Erie Museum Board, 1996, p. 226)
1947 – George W. Holmes manufactures Motorettes, a three-wheeled car, in the planing mill in Ridgeway. (Many Voices II, Fort Erie, Ont.: Fort Erie Historical Museum 2004, p. 124)
1864 – Fort Erie Council holds a special meeting in order, “to have this Council Chamber suitably furnished”. Meetings were then held in a schoolhouse on the southwest corner of Waterloo (then Victoria) and Forsythe Streets. (Fort Erie Council Minutes 1857-1882, MS 644, Reel 1, R.G.21, Municipal Records; Many Voices II, Fort Erie, Ont.: Fort Erie Historical Museum, 2004, p.267)
1864 – Fort Erie Council holds a special meeting in order, “to have this Council Chamber suitably furnished”. Meetings were then held in a schoolhouse on the southwest corner of Waterloo (then Victoria) and Forsythe Streets. (Fort Erie Council Minutes 1857-1882, MS644, Reel 1 RG21, Municipal Records; Many Voices II, Fort Erie, Ont.: Fort Erie Historical Museum, 2004, p.267)
1909 – Ridgeway Free Public Library opens its new building on Disher Street in Ridgeway. (The Ridgeway Herald, Mar. 25, 1909)
1931 – Fire destroys the Odd Fellows Hall and Presbyterian Church on Courtwright Street. (FEHM Files, Municipal Government)
1976 – Fort Erie’s only regular bus run connecting Buffalo, Crystal Beach and Port Colborne ceases operation. (Buffalo Courier Express, Mar. 20, 1976)